About Robert Lee, PhD.: Biography
Robert L. Lee, Ph.D. is a licensed psychologist in the United
States (Massachusetts and Arizona). Before moving to Costa Rica,
in 1999 where he currently lives, he had a private practice in
Andover, MA for 10 years. He has been a Coordinator for the International
Focusing Institute since 1992. He has taught Focusing in 3 continents
and 2 languages in schools, churches, conferences and centers.
He is a Certified Group Psychotherapist and has extensive experience
in facilitating group psychotherapy. He has been a Board Member
of the Consortium for Diversified Psychology (CDP). CDP represented
17 humanistically inclined universities, psychology departments,
and professional associations. It is now named the Council for
Humanistic and Transpersonal Psychology. He was a founding member
of the National Psychology Advisory Association, an organization
for graduates and students in the CDP graduate programs. He served
on the board of NPAA for 11 years, twice serving as chair.
Lee has worked with Focusing in a number of areas. He has developed
Conjoint Focusing Therapy which combines Focusing oriented psychotherapy
with training in personal growth Focusing. He trains therapists
in the use of Focusing in psychotherapy.
He has taught Focusing to bodyworkers interested in using it for themselves and in relation to their clients. He taught supervision at the Muscular Therapy Instititute in Cambridge, MA (USA) for several years.
He has developed Focusing in relation to spirituality establishing a peer Focusing group at Cambridge Friends Meeting (Quakers).
He is known within the Focusing community for his work on “Changing
the Unchangeable” —how to find deep change through
long term Focusing projects. He leads retreats on this subject.
Lee is an expert on training people in Focusing Partnerships.
He has developed a special method for training which emphasizes
listening to both feeling and thinking but with different kinds
of empathy. His model for teaching focusing is called Domain Focusing.
Lee is a pioneer in the use of Focusing in business using Focusing to enhance communication and to stimulate creativity.
Lee teaches Focusing to couples and led a couples Focusing group
for a number of years. He has developed a focusing implied method
for Couple Psychotherapy.
About Robert Lee, PhD.: Specialty Areas
- Focusing and _________: changes groups/supportive community, diversity of partnership models, teaching beginners, training psychotherapists.
- Focusing and Spirituality: consciousness, meditation, Quakers.
- FOT (Focusing Oriented Psychotherapy): couple's therapy, group
therapy, long term individual therapy, anxiety disorders, depression,
manic depression, OCD. Theory.
- Organizational: Coordinator evolution, Focusing in graduate
psychology programs, International Focusing Conferences, Business.
Coordinator-trainer Collaboration. Action oriented research.
- Body work: supervision of massage therapists, feldenkrais, massage, dancefree, energy awareness, physical problems, behavioral medicine, weight loss.
- Macroshifting-Changing the Unchangeable through Focusing:
Theory development, retreats, book in process.
- Philosophy: TAE (Thinking at the Edge), classes on Gendlin's
philosophy books, work groups.
- Focusing in a country: Costa Rica, Spanish, developing a region
in the world, Focusing partnership and second language. Translation
issues. 2nd language. Cross-lingual Focusing Partnership.
- Domain Focusing: a teaching model--beginners, a training program,
a post trainer program. Practice Groups. Theory. A special method
for difficulties in Felt Sense Formation. Marketing.
- Focusing and Social Change. Presentations, workshops, action. Board member.